April 11, 2013

Jay Shells’ “Rap Quotes” Art Project Hits the Streets of New York



Graphic designer, hip-hop head and as it seems, a community philanthropist, Jay Shells has taken the initiative to highlight geographical lyrics from the likes of Mos Def (aka Yasiin Bey), Jay-Z and Big L over a series of bright red signs. While it’s habitual for rappers to represent their neighborhood in their music, now thanks to the artist this nostalgia can be translated into visual form, reminding local New Yorkers of all the great hits coming from their respective boroughs. With nothing more than a step stool, screws, and a merriment for hip-hop, Jay Shells and ANIMAL hit the streets to redecorate the street corners. The clip also takes us to the neighborhoods of some of hip-hop’s greats, with shots of the infamous Marcy projects and Big L’s mural on 140th & Lenox in Harlem.


*This story is copied from the always awesome website Hypebeast*

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Kitty K's Archive

It's Kitty K.

My photo
Netherlands
Personal assistant happily working in the music industry with a love for music, art, fashion, and all kind of beautiful obnoxious stupid and intriguing things. Loves to be amazed, every day. My contact details are: itskittyk@gmail.com. Feel free to drop me a line. The images on Its Kitty K are found all over the amazing internet. I use them because they invoke certain feelings in me and in my readers. If I happen to violate any copyrights you might have, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will remove the picture. Additionally; if you know the author of an unknown post please drop me an email (itskittyk@gmail.com). This is not a commercial blog and I don't get paid for my work. My drive is to show and share great things to you.